Monday, April 22, 2013

Vegan Matcha Cupcakes and Cake


I had this urge to bake something, yesterday... So I went online and looked for a good vegan cake recipe, seeing how my last few batches of cupcakes were too dense. I came across a Very Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes recipe from Whipped Baking, and I knew I just had to try it.




Due to the necessity for speed when dealing with recipes using the chemical reaction between vinegar and baking soda, I couldn't just stand there and wait for my first batch of cupcakes to be done before finishing the batter, so I poured it all into a small cake tin.


Recipe~
Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soymilk
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 2 tbs vanilla extract (I didn't have extract, so I used a vanilla syrup... 2 tbs is fine, and not too strong)
- 1 tbs white or apple cider vinegar (I used white so that it didn't interfere with the matcha)
- matcha powder

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven 180°C
2. Line tin(s)
3. In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
5. Pour the wet into the dry and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Pour into tin(s) and bake around 15 mins for cupcakes, or 25 mins for a cake, or until a toothpick comes out dry.

I used around 30g matcha powder, but the flavor was very subtle... So I'll have to test some more to find the right proportions.

The only non-vegan aspect is in the frosting.

Frosting recipe~
Ingredients:
- 5 tbs flour
- 1 cup milk (I used soymilk)
- vanilla extract
- 1 cup softened butter
- sugar

Procedure:
1. In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk. Place on stovetop and heat until thickened. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Add in some vanilla.
3. In a bowl, whip butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
Note: I tend to estimate the amount of sugar differently each time, to ensure it's not too sweet. This time, I made a quarter of a batch of frosting, with about 2 tsp of sugar.
4. Add the completely cooled milk-flour mix and beat until it reaches the consistency of whipped cream.
5. Spread or pipe on cupcakes of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment