Thursday, March 20, 2014

Curry Samosas


This is something I've been wanting to make for a long time, but I kept on being put off because the recipe I had gotten from a teacher involved deep frying. Unless I'm really motivated, I don't like dealing with deep frying, despite how good deep-fried food is.

Today, I had a bit of inspiration. What if I baked the samosas instead of frying them? That would solve all my problems! A quick Google search confirmed that it was possible, and I got to work.

First, I made the curry. I make it more or less like all my other curries before, except instead of leaving it watery, I simmered it down to a thick consistency. Incidentally, I also used up a lot of leftovers that were laying about. In this curry, I put:
  • leftover cooked potatoes
  • leftover green beans that were stir-fried with small tofu pieces and a bit of tomato
  • 1 carrot, diced finely
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • some ginger, cumin seeds, dried chili
  • curry powder
After cooking the curry, seasoning it to taste, then letting it cool, I took out some thawed spring roll wrappers. Each of these were cut in 3 and left between folds of a clean, damp towel. Then I put a bit of curry, folded it into triangles, then put them in a greased baking pan. Brushed the tops with a bit of olive oil, then baked it at 205°C (400°F) for about 24-25 minutes.

For the raita (salad), I simply grated some cucumber, added plain yogurt, and seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper. This salad adds a refreshing note after the heavier samosas (due to the potatoes and the heat).

Here is a picture of my first batch. They're not so pretty since I hadn't gotten the hang of folding the samosas just right, and the spring roll wrappers were not dampened enough and kept on breaking.


And an unedited picture (I only edit the lighting and colors a bit) of the samosas before I took a bite out of one to show how it looks inside:


No comments:

Post a Comment