Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Cranberry Shortbread Cookies


I have been meaning to make cookies to give to the people in the department at the hospital in which I had worked for a month, a few years back. One of them recently found an internship for me, so I wanted it to double as thanks for him, too.


Instead of doing plain butter and sugar cookies, I decided it was time to try another recipe from my shortbread cookies and crackers recipe book. I had received this book for Christmas last year, from a cousin.


I had some dried cranberries laying around (my aunt usually brings a huge bag from the US every time she comes here, as she knows many people here like them). Thus, I ended up with cranberry shortbread cookies.


These were quite easy to make, although the 1-hour waiting time was kind of bothersome, as it was 1 am by the time I could stick them in the oven. I think the most bothersome part of this recipe is that, when cutting out shapes, my cookie cutter sometimes cut through a cranberry. If I was not careful, the cranberry would rip the cookie, thus ruining the shape.


I had planned to take progress pictures, but as soon as my hands got involved in mixing the flour into the butter mix, it was impossible to handle my camera. Maybe next time! I packaged these in little transparent plastic bags to give out.



CRANBERRY SHORBREAD RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 50 g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
  • 40 g icing sugar
  • 150 g unsalted, softened butter
  • 200 g flour
  • 1/3 tsp salt
  Procedure
  1. Whisk together butter and sugar until creamy.
  2. Add in flour, salt, and cranberries, and mix by hand until the dough is homogeneous and supple.
  3. On a floured working surface, roll out the dough to obtain a thickness of about 5 mm. Cut out shapes, and put them on a baking sheet covered with a piece of baking paper, or a silicone mat.
  4. Refrigerate for one hour
  5. Preheat oven 180°C.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment