Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas '15: Pumpkin Yule Log Cake


Christmas desserts this year were split between my cousin B and myself. B made little choux and éclairs, and I dealt with the egg-free stuff for those among us that don't eat eggs. Having seen a recipe on Dash of (Vegan) Butter for a vegan pumpkin cream roll, and seeing how I still had a pumpkin sitting around, I jumped on the opportunity.

First, I roasted the pumpkin in the oven, puréed it in a food processor, then drained it in a colander with paper towels in the fridge to remove all excess moisture. Then I whipped up about 6 tbs of aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas), and proceeded with the rest of the recipe.


For the filling, I folded some whipped cream into the leftover cream cheese mix from the brownie topping. I also added a little more sugar. Then I cut a small section at the end to make a stump on top, which was glued on with more of the cream cheese mix.


The whole cake was covered with whipped cream that was mixed with chocolate powder. At first, I just dragged a fork over the whipped cream to make it seem like bark, but then opted instead to shave some chocolate off large choc chips (the only chocolate I had) to dust over the top.


In the end, the cake was well liked, but the cake batter was a little tough. Either I had overbaked it a bit, or the amount of dry ingredients should have been reduced.

PUMPKIN CAKE ROLL RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 6 tbs aquafaba
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup puréed pumpkin
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • icing sugar
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 180°C.
  2. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside.
  3. Whip aquafaba on high until soft peaks. 
  4. On medium speed, add in applesauce, the progressively add sugar.
  5. Mix in pumpkin and vinegar.
  6. Fold in dry ingredients.
  7. Pour into a prepared pan, then bake for 15 min or until it springs back when lightly pressed.
  8. After removing from oven, immediately put on a clean dishtowel dusted with icing sugar.
  9. Roll it up with the towel and set to cool.
  10. Once cooled, unroll, fill with desired cream, and roll again.
  11. Ice as desired, and chill until eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment