Saturday, December 26, 2015

Mint Chocolate Cookies


December 15, 2015

As the end of the semester approached, I wanted to give little packs of cookies to my professors, as thanks for teaching. I also felt that some of them had been particularly helpful to me this semester.

I looked around in my stash of baking ingredients, to see what kinds of cookies I could make with what I had. I had thought about chocolate chip cookies, but I didn't have anymore choc chips... No more cranberries either, and at the time I was starting to dig in my boxes, I was not up for zesting a lime. Then I saw a box of mint-filled chocolates I had gotten before but that was just sitting there. I figured I could try and put that on or in a cookie somehow.


My first test attempt was a flop and almost left a chunk of charcoal at the bottom of the oven. The cookie had fallen through the grill despite the baking paper (I neglected to put a pan between the paper and the grill), and had spread like crazy. Some flour and chilling later, I finally managed to get something decent.

The mint chocolates were cut into small rectangles/triangles depending on the part of the chocolate. I then stabbed them through the top of each cookie formed. Some pieces melted and caramelized on the sides of the cookies.  It might have been better if I had just stuck a bigger slab in the middle of each cookie, but I settled with what was done.

RECIPE
  Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup golden sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp Orgran egg replacer
  • 4 tbs water
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp hot water
  • mint chocolate (or sub in 1 cup chocolate chips)
  Procedure
  1. Preheat oven 175°C.
  2. Cream butter and all sugar until fluffy.
  3. Mix the egg replacer and the 4 tbs water (proportions ~2 eggs) and beat them into the mixture.
  4. Dissolve baking soda into the hot water before adding.
  5. Stir in flour and chocolate chips.
  6. Put on baking sheet by large spoonfuls.
  7. Bake for 10-15 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment